Friday, February 12, 2010

God will make a way!

As we began filling out our piles and piles of paperwork we realized that the first big step to the adoption process was to have a home study done. This is when a social worker does multiple interviews with you, comes to your house for a tour,(and to make sure you are not growing weed or something in your backyard-Sorry! You have to have a sense of humor about the process!)acquires letters of reference from family and friends, obtains medical records to make sure you are healthy, does a background check on you to make sure you are not a felon, and several other things that I am forgetting right now. I called to make an appointment with a social worker for a couple of weeks out to complete our first interview and get started with the process. As we were ending the conversation she says, "Oh, and my fee is due on the first interview and it's one thousand dollars."

I thought, "Okay Lord. I know you said to trust you so here it goes! If this is really going to all happen then where is that one thousand dollars going to come from?" It's just such a leap of faith when you know God wants you to do something yet there seems to be this huge gap standing in the way. I am going into the details about the finances because it is important and is part of our story....it just shows how much God's hand was on all the details of our adoption. So, I'm checking the mail a few days after making the appointment with the social worker and there was a card from all of my girlfriends in Johnson City. When Stephen was in med school and we lived in Johnson City I led a Bible Study in my home for med school wives and there were 10 of us who were in that group. Oh how I miss those girls! Anyway, I digress. It was a sympathy card and I was getting lots of those but this one was different. Part of it read, "All of the girls say send their love and hope this helps some. We all felt this was the perfect way to reach out to you during this time, especially since we were all together at the beginning of this long road. We all pray that this is a swift and smooth process and that you and Stephen have a baby in your hearts and home soon. We all love you so much!" You see all these girls wanted to donate money to our baby fund in honor of my mom. In this card there were checks from all of them and the total was...wait for it....$1,000!!!

This was huge for us because it totally confirmed that God was going to give us a baby and He was going to provide the means to do so! I remember crying and calling Stephen to give him good news for a change. News that God is good. News that HE IS IN CONTROL. News that we are going to bring a child into our home and HE WILL make a way for us!!

To be continued...

1 comment:

Jason and Jamie said...

I remember you telling us this was the exact amount, but it didn't really hit me until I just read your blog. I am overwhelmed with God's goodness and his willingness to let me play even a small part in it. How easily I can forget how great and amazing our God is. How he takes our pain and turns it to joy, how when we look back over our journey we can see His hand in each step.